Programs & Services for Teens and Young Adults
Gaming at the Library
The Library offers many opportunities for gaming that include both video games and tabletop games. Gaming provides numerous benefits for players that include critical thinking skills, vocabulary building, social interaction, and is a great deal of fun!
The Children's Room is trying to join the Maker Movement!
The maker movement is based on constructionism which is the philosophy of hands-on learning through building things. The "learning through play" should be a guided activity that has a purpose. Maker programs embrace the power of collaboration -- it is okay for children to consult and assist one another as they explore and solve problems using the resources available. Maker programs not only foster learning through inquiry but also supports mental rigor.
So join us on Mondays as we play with Makey Makey kits, learn a new skill or craft, and tinker with different tools and technologies.
Summer Reading Program
Every summer, the Children's Room participates with the Collaborative Summer Library Program.
Some benefits of attending summer programs at the library include:
- Advance literacy and academic performance by engaging children and teens in reading and reading-related activities during the summer months.
- Foster a love of reading through public library programs and services.
- Increase successful reading experiences through librarian-supported, self-selected, voluntary reading.
- Involve parents and all family members in the library summer reading experience.
- Improve children’s access to library materials and activities, which will encourage them to become lifelong library users.
- Increase the number of children and teens participating in public library summer reading programs.
- Prevent Summer Reading Loss.
Youth Songwriting Competition
Local professional musicians volunteer to offer the opportunity of area teens to join the Utica musical community. Teens can participate by writing and performing an original song in front of judges and an audience for a chance to win prizes.
Utica's Pop Culture Convention - a family friendly celebration of all things fandom.
Other Programs & Special Events
In addition to the services listed above, the Youth Services Department offers many other programs for teens and young adults on a monthly basis that include arts & crafts, contest, raffles, and more! The lineup of programs is constantly changing with new fun and educational offerings by our staff. Youth Services is also excited to regularly offer special presentations and workshops with guests from outside the library. Stay tuned to the calendar to see when these special events are taking place.