Programs & Services for Children
One look at the Events Calendar and you will see that things are hopping in the Children's Room! We may recommend an age range for our programs to make sure kids are able to participate. If you feel they would still enjoy the program but do not fit with our recommended age group, just ask! We are open minded. Sometimes we ask to please register for a program due to space and limited supplies. We like to plan accordingly. This will be indicated in the event listing on the calendar.
James McClendon, a Utica College student, made us this wonderful PSA highlighting the importance of reading with your children. Thanks James!
The Youth Services Department recognizes that early literacy is a key component to the development of area youth into adults leading happy, successful, rich lives. The Children's Room offers many weekly story time programs that include stories, songs, fingerplays, and crafts. There is Pajama Storytime with Miss Lisa on most Tuesdays, Rise and Shine Storytime with Miss Marjie on most Thursdays, and Baby & Me with Miss Amanda on Fridays. To find out more details on the next available story time, check out our ever changing monthly calendar of events.
Children's Museum Library Membership
We are very excited to offer a membership pass to the Utica Children’s Museum for you and your family to enjoy. This pass allows 2 adults and 2 children free admission to the Children’s Museum for 4 days. Use your library card at the Utica Public Library to take out the museum pass and enjoy!
- • Admission for 2 adults and 2 children
- • Loan Period: 4 Days, no renewals
- • Pass must be borrowed and returned to Utica Public Library
- • Pass may not be requested through the online catalog
- • If pass is not returned, patron will be billed for the membership: $150
Summer Reading Program
Every summer, the Children's Room participates with the Collaborative Summer Library Program.
Some benefits of attending summer programs at the library include:
- Advance literacy and academic performance by engaging children and teens in reading and reading-related activities during the summer months.
- Foster a love of reading through public library programs and services.
- Increase successful reading experiences through librarian-supported, self-selected, voluntary reading.
- Involve parents and all family members in the library summer reading experience.
- Improve children’s access to library materials and activities, which will encourage them to become lifelong library users.
- Increase the number of children and teens participating in public library summer reading programs.
- Prevent Summer Reading Loss.
Utica's Pop Culture Convention - a family friendly celebration of all things fandom.
Other Programs & Special Events
In addition to the programs listed above, the Youth Services Department offers many other events for children on a monthly basis which include arts & crafts, contests, raffles, and more! The lineup of programs is constantly changing with new fun and educational offerings by our staff. (Shout out to Bedtime Math for offering another program opportunity.)
Youth Services is also excited to regularly offer special presentations and workshops with guests from outside the library. We often have visits from the Utica Zoo to learn about and sometimes pet zoo animals, and the Utica Police Department also drops by to read stories too. Stay tuned to the calendar to see when these special events are taking place.
Beyond the Library
In addition to the services listed above, the Children's Room librarians make many outreach visits each month to local Utica area organizations to conduct story times and early literacy workshops. If your local organization is interested in having a librarian provide a story time or workshop, please contact the Youth Services Department.