Meeting Room Use Policy
The Utica Public Library provides meeting rooms and space for organizations engaged in educational, cultural, intellectual or charitable activities. In accordance with the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights Article VI the facility use is made available to the public “on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting its use”. The Library does not endorse organizations that use the meeting rooms.
For example Civic, governmental, cultural, political, religious, educational and not-for-profit organizations may use the meeting space without charge. Donations from these organizations are gratefully accepted. Groups engaged in commercial activities and individuals holding private events may use Library space for a fee.
While every effort will be made to approve requests for meeting space, Library programs will take precedence.
- Generally the Library’s meeting spaces are available on a first come, first serve basis during Library hours.
- Requests should be directed to the Library Office. The following information must be given: name of organization and contact person, contact information, organizational purpose, type of event, number of attendees expected, room set-up, AV/equipment requirements, date and time of event.
- Requests to serve alcoholic beverages or for fund raising purposes must be approved in advance by the Board of Trustees.
- Refreshments may be served.
- If space is used when the Library is closed, the group must have Library maintenance and security on duty and reimburse the Library the cost.
- If the Library deems that additional security is needed for an event/meeting the organization must pay this expense.
- The Library’s insurance agent will determine any need for additional insurance, which the group must then obtain and provide documentation to the Library two weeks prior to the event/meeting’s date. When the organization, group or individual intends to serve liquor, Host Liquor Liability insurance must be obtained in the amount of $1,000,000 with the Library named as an additional insured. A liquor license must be obtained and displayed at the event if the liquor is sold to the attendees.
- Smoking is not permitted on Library property. This includes the building and the grounds.
- The Library owns a television, DVD player, video conferencing equipment and a video projector, which may be used by the group. The Library must be reimbursed for any damage that may occur.
- Each group is expected to leave the room in a neat and orderly condition.
- Use of the library meeting space by a commercial enterprise will be charged per use as follows: Music Room or Activity Room--$25 to $50; Gallery--$50 to $100. These fees may be changed at the discretion of the Library.
- The Library cannot be listed as the contact for an outside organization using the meeting rooms.